Tag Archives: !@£$%

Neighbourhood Plan submitted FBC

22nd October. We have submitted the Final Version of the Neighbourhood Plan to FBC

The next stage of the process is that FBC will carry out a compliance check of the Plan. Providing the Plan meets all the relevant checks, there will be a further period of public consultation which will be a minimum of 6 weeks.

After this an external independent examiner will evaluate the Plan. The referendum will be at the end of January beginning of February 2019.

Ann Wheal – Chair,  Titchfield Neighbourhood Forum

Last chance to comment on the Plan

Thank you for those who attended yesterday. I am sorry if you came after 8pm but as there was only a small group we had finished all the business by then.

Next Monday, 10th is the last date for us to receive any comments on the Plan. We have already had comments/suggestions from many people, including FBC. However, we have consulted with groups such as Historic England, the Environment Agency, Natural England and both churches. All responses are due by the end of the public consultation period which is 10th September. After that we make the appropriate changes and then submit the Plan to FBC who will send it to the external examiner. Whilst the examiner is considering the Plan, FBC will be organising the referendum which we hope will take place early December.

The existing Plan will be removed from the website on 10th but as soon as a revised version is available this will be posted on the site.

All relevant comments we have received both from the website and the public meetings are being collated, anonymised and made into a file which will be included in our submission to the examiner.

Ann Wheal, Chair, Titchfield Neighbourhood Forum

TVT’s committee’s comments on the DRAFT Neighbourhood Plan

First of all we would like to thank the Forum for a very comprehensive document that covers all aspects and more in its proposals, however, The Village Trust does have a number of points to make.

Perhaps we can open by quoting from the Department for Communities & Local Government in their guide to neighbourhood Plans.

  1. A Neighbourhood Plan is about the uses and development of land. It should not promote less development than that identified in the development plan for the local area.
  2. Often the process of preparing a plan will highlight non- planning issues.

These would not form part of the statutory neighbourhood plan so should not be subject to the independent examination and referendum.

Wider community aspirations than those relating to development and use of land can be included in a neighbourhood plan, but actions dealing with non land use matters should be clearly identifiable. For example, set out in a companion document or annex

  1. A neighbourhood plan may deal with transport insofar as it relates to new development. It may not deal with things like traffic management of existing networks, unless such management would be necessary to allow development to be approved.

 

Taking these guidelines into consideration it would appear that Chapters 10 (Getting Around), 12 (The Built and Natural Environment), and 13 (Historic Titchfield) fall outside the plans remit, and certainly outside the referendums terms of reference.

Concentrating then on the planning and development.

Our major concern is over paragraph 9.3. This paraphrases the report you commissioned from AECOM which arrived at a figure of 262 dwellings to be built within the Neighbourhood Plan area. Taking into account the Coach and Horses site, The Mitie site, The East St Garage site and the 86 dwellings on the retirement village site off Cartwright Drive this would leave 153 dwellings to be built within the plan period of 16 years. You also state this in your summary para 1.2 “During the lifetime of the plan an average of 10 dwellings a year will be needed”

One does need to raise the question if 10 aren’t built in year 1 does that mean 20 in year 2 etc.etc. until you reach 153 ?

We do note that you state in para 9.6 you are not specifying any sites within this plan.

If these paragraphs remain in the plan they will, if the referendum votes yes, form a central part of the local plan that affects Titchfield and we are certain that developers will notice this and they, as they are already doing, will inevitably identify sites.

As things stand within the current draft local plan Fareham has “NO development” planned for Titchfield. You even quote their 2036 plan “Titchfield is a small settlement, with a rich historic character and a thriving local centre. Few development opportunities have been identified, apart from small infilling proposals”

You also quote their own Core strategy and Policy CS22 which creates the strategic Meon Gap, which means that proposals for development will not be permitted.

If you are proposing “no development” then surely there is no necessity to hold a referendum on something that is already being proposed by FBC.

At the moment the National Planning Policy Framework states :

Strategic policy-making authorities should establish a housing requirement figure for their whole area, which shows the extent to which their identified housing need (and any needs that cannot be met within neighbouring areas) can be met over the plan period. Within this overall requirement, strategic policies should also set out a housing requirement for designated neighbourhood areas which reflects the overall strategy for the pattern and scale of development and any relevant allocations

Once the strategic policies have been adopted, these figures should not need retesting at the neighbourhood plan examination, unless there has been a significant change in circumstances that affects the requirement

Fareham have already decided no development within the Neighbourhood Plan area but have been told by the government they will have to increase their current allocation. The Village Trust Committee do not believe that they should, or in fact will, go back on their commitment to Titchfield. You do, however, seem to be saying there needs to be development.

The Trust fundamentally disagrees.

 

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________________________________________

 

A few other points outside the referendum agenda but included in the Plan:

Para 4.2 :

It was the Village Trust that asked the Neighbourhood Forum to cease being a sub-committee. Fareham Borough Council, were asking us to alter our constitution in order to fit the Neighbourhood Forum regulations. We felt, more than anything else, we had to remain independent from both local and national government so asked the Forum to leave and go their own way.

Para 10.6

The growth of car ownership has not been offset by any significant increase in parking facilities”

We helped campaign for the new parking arrangements in the community centre after 2 traffic surveys carried out by FBC resulting in an extra 30 spaces, this would seem to us ‘significant’

Para 13.5

”In later years, the Barn was again abandoned and was acquired by FBC in conjunction with the surrounding land”

No. The Barn was owned by Millan Mandaric Holdings and was first leased to The Titchfield Festival Theatre and then sold to them.

The surrounding land, now the new country park, was given to FBC as a gift, being part of the Retirement Village development deal. Something the Village Trust were involved with, and helped bring to fruition, from the start.

STOP PRESS! – Last Consultation Meeting,

Last Consultation Meeting, 4th September 7 – 9 pm in the Studio at Titchfield Festival Theatre.

It will be a chance for everyone to ‘Have their say’.

Having said that, the questions and comments should only be regarding the NP. It cannot be about the process as we have no control over that. Also, only those who live within the NP area may ask questions.

This is the final consultation meeting so I hope it will be useful and also enjoyable.

We have already had comments/suggestions from many people, including FBC. However, we have consulted with groups such as Historic England, the Environment Agency, Natural England and both churches. All responses are due by the end of the public consultation period which is 10th September. After that we make the appropriate changes and then submit the Plan to FBC who will send it to the external examiner. Whilst the examiner is considering the Plan, FBC will be planning for the referendum which we hope will take place early December.

Ann Wheal – Chair.

POSBROOKE LANE APPEAL – Forum’s response to FBC

Titchfield Neighbourhood Forum’s response to Fareham Borough Council’s Statement of Case

Titchfield Neighbourhood Forum (TNF) supports Fareham Borough Council’s Statement against the appeal of Foreman Homes.

We do consider however that the impact on highways has been under estimated. The road infrastructure throughout the village is already under severe pressure serving the local community and this is exacerbated by the additional burden of commuting traffic. All roads into, out of and through the village have restrictions to traffic flow and it is difficult to access the A27 whichever route is chosen and there are significant queues at peak times in a number of locations.

The current difficulties of an already overloaded road infrastructure in Titchfield village centre, Posbrook Lane, and Coach Hill, Common Lane, St. Margarets Lane and Bridge Street which take traffic from the south, would be significantly increased by the additional traffic generated by the large proposed development, which would generate between 730 to 1000 vehicle movements a day.

Posbrook Lane is a narrow country lane, but it already takes a high volume of traffic. It is about 4.4 metres wide in front of the site and on towards the shore, and it has  a number of bends, some ‘blind’. It is a commuting ‘rat run’ used by vehicles from and to Gosport, Lee-on-the-Solent and Hill Head.

Although Posbrook Lane is subject to width restrictions for through traffic, it is used extensively by very large agriculture vehicles servicing the farmers and growers off and nearby to the Lane.

There are usually several large agricultural vehicle movements a day, such as large tractors with ploughs, drills etc. and sprayers, which are all wide vehicles. Periodically there is a relay of  tractors and trailers or tankers for activities such as vegetable harvesting and muck spreading. Often it is necessary for traffic to stop after mounting the pavement or verge to allow very large tractors to pass, with the tractors often drawing trailers or other wide agriculture equipment. Many 18 tonne trucks deliver to and collect from the farms and growers throughout the year.

During the summer in particular, the Lane is very busy with traffic heading to the shore at the Meon outlet, Hill Head and Lee-on-the-Solent, some towing trailers with boats and others with caravans. It is also a busy cycle route.

Parking alongside Bellfield, the cemetery and the allotments cause congestion and there are delays in accessing Coach Hill and turning from Coach Hill into Posbrook Lane.

It should also be noted that at quieter times of the day speeding occurs despite a 30mph speed restriction. Over the years a number of vehicles have ‘lost control’ and ended up in the ditch in front of the proposed site, one of these accidents was quite recent.

The road beyond  Posbrook Lane to the shore is narrow, there are lots of bends and there is a single track passing point. Like Posbrook Lane it takes large agriculture machinery and large vehicles servicing the farms and growers and, in the summer especially, takes the heavy traffic flow to the beaches.

As mentioned earlier the roads which would bear the brunt of traffic increases in addition to Posbrook Lane are listed below with some of their inherent difficulties.

Coach Hill.  For a busy road it is narrow and in several places, when buses and lorries are passing, cars have to stop to allow this. There is an extremely tight mini-roundabout at the bottom with a road sign indicating that buses will be in the middle of the road, this causes frequent problems. Bollards have been sited at the roundabout to stop vehicles mounting the pavements, which are extremely narrow at this point. It is a busy commuting route

St. Margaret’s Lane.  It is narrow, there are business premises which lead to large vehicles and some parking issues. It is a very busy commuting route, exacerbated by cars dropping off and picking up children attending West Hill school. Access to the traffic light controlled roundabout is difficult particularly at peak times as the lanes on the roundabout are full and queues develop in the Lane.

Common Lane.  At certain times the road is restricted by vehicles of people who are making road side purchases. It is a busy commuting route and it is also affected by vehicles dropping off and picking up children attending West Hill school. Access to Warsash Road is difficult at peak times particularly for right turns and queues develop. There are also  further queues of traffic at the end of Warsash Road waiting to gain access to the roundabout on the A27.

Bridge Street.  There are bollards coming out from the mini-roundabout to stop vehicles mounting the pavements. Parking outside the houses results in single file traffic, with the difficulties increased by traffic coming off the mini-roundabout. It has a single track passing point. It is subject to flooding, which sometimes results in a road closure causing widespread difficulties. It is a busy commuting route with queues of traffic along most of its length at peak times waiting access to Stubbington Road via the traffic lights and counter queues at the single track passing point.

South Street.  This is the access to the village centre from the south. In its short length it has significant single track passing points and parking which includes large delivery vehicles causing further restrictions. Bollards have been sited along both sides of the Street for most of its length to stop vehicles mounting the footpaths.

In summary we reiterate that the current road infrastructure is already under pressure and that the addition of the traffic generated by the proposed site should not be contemplated.

We also contend that the minor improvement of three road junctions, outlined by the Highways Authority (Hampshire County Council), would not solve the problem that would be created by the additional traffic. It appears that there has been a focus on the new traffic that would be generated and that not sufficient account has been taken of the existing situation with all the difficulties. However it would appear that the proposed road junction measures would help to ameliorate some the current traffic flow difficulties.

END

 

 

 

Posbrook Planning Appeal – Rule 6 Statement

As an officially recognised body the Neighbourhood Forum (TNPF) has submitted what is called a Rule 6 Statement to the Planning Inspectorate and will be represented at the Appeal in November.

This statement is based upon the policies within the Draft Neighbourhood Plan which oppose developments such as the one proposed at Posbrook. The Forum also supports objections made by other individuals or organisations.

Colin W-S

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gloria Hunt- Response to Phil Burner.          

Although a member of the Trust and the Forum I am voicing my own opinions.

Throughout the last two years Forum representatives have met on an average every three months with Fareham Borough Council Planning representatives.  This has involved discussions on future planning, including the Neighbourhood Plan area.  We were very aware that the Draft Local Plan would endeavour to maintain the strategic gap, despite numerous offers of land from owners in and around the Neighbourhood Plan area.  It is, therefore, no surprise that the Neighbourhood Plan, based on residents views, advises no sites in the area.  The housing group of the Forum spent much time assessing, using approved assessment sheets, to obtain evidence to support our policy of no sites.   Government guide lines strongly support these discussion phases to enable, if conflict arises, time for both sides to negotiate and involve residents in further discussion. This brings about“ running alongside the Borough Plan “ it does not mean “ bending the knee”

In the light of recent pressure from Government for the Council to find even more housing it is vitally important that Fareham have a clear view that residents, if they vote yes to the plan, have shown that they consider no sites suitable in this area.  With so many sites offered for purchase this is a definite consideration that the Borough must take.  Surely any brake on thoughts of large scale developing is worth the effort!

Warsash and other areas around are, some with help from their Councillors, moving forward to quickly produce a Neighbourhood Plan. The Forum have also been given the right to speak at the Posbrook appeal, where they will give clear reasons for not supporting this site.   Even though the plan may not have been voted on at that point, as an emerging plan it must be taken into consideration.

In my opinion there is no conflict between the Forum and the TVT. All members of both have the aims of keeping conservation, protection of the strategic gap, water meadows and environment safe.  It is only in the case of windfall development (like the garage site) that the Plan would have a statutory role.  However, it is good that a number of areas such as Barrys Meadow play equipment, accessibility, traffic calming, invasive species, raising historic profile, presentation, and even rubbish bins have been raised by residents. These, surely can be worked on by any group! There is no conflict, no competition of “ Who did what “ –  only the Village wins.

On the issues of money coming from any development, there is one point I would make. If, in the event of money coming from development, it would be through consultation with every resident on how the money would be spent.  The area is a mixture of age range and socio-economic groups of residents who would make those decisions and not just our job as members of the Trust

Lastly, I agree it is “not broken” at the moment but this Plan may stop it being broken for the next twenty years by major developers. It may also, through the Tasks listed in the Plan, get some things moving again. The vibrations felt by some residents in South Street due to speeding and heavy traffic will end up causing damage that may be could have been avoided.  We could say all these things have been tried before but sometimes new ideas come along and changes for the good happen.

Let us all work together for this beautiful place!

Gloria.

 

A re-post of Karen Postle’s comment

I’m re-posting a comment made by Karen Postle a day or so ago.

  1. Karen Postle
    I’m not too sure how the current debate is helping us. As a relatively new resident by Titchfield standards (30 years!) I have been extremely grateful for everything theTVT has achieved. I’m also very grateful for all the hard work which the Forum has put into the Plan. I cannot see why the valuable efforts of the differing groups have to be viewed in such a dichotomous way. One group’s efforts in no way negates the other’s. 
    Edit
    Ed.

John Hiett on Neighbourhood Plans

It is the most fundamental and least heralded change in local government since the Magna Carta!  The government wants local communities to decide their own futures.   All over the country hundreds of groups are preparing or have prepared their Neighbourhood Plans.

The idea is simple, but the execution is excruciating.   Every community is encouraged to prepare a Plan for the Future.   In Titchfield, a committee appointed by invitation of the Titchfield Village Trust asked residents what concerned them – traffic and housing topped the list. They also asked what residents would like to do about it.    There followed two and a half years of consultation in myriad forms, until a draft Plan had been prepared under the strictest guidelines.   A referendum will follow of the whole village, and hey presto, the next 20 years are set in stone.

The Final Plan will have full legal authority.   Planning inspectors quail before it.

It hasn’t been easy.   Government guidelines and local authority plans change at the drop of a hat.   It’s not a job for the faint-hearted.   The Forum (approved by Fareham Borough Council in March 2017) of 25 residents have worked assiduously, and the work is in its final stages.

The Neighbourhood Plan for Titchfield is now in the public consultation stage.   Residents have until September 10 to put their views.   After that, the revised plan goes to an inspector and then comes the referendum.   A simple majority will decide the outcome.

Titchfield (and no doubt many other communities) has considerations which are peculiar to itself.   We are a medieval village with narrow streets and no front gardens.   Busses trundle four times every hour close to ancient houses with medieval foundations.   Houses are too expensive for young people to buy.   Infilling has taken up almost all the available space for new housing, and the villagers are anxious to preserve the remaining green spaces – the allotments, the bowling club and the village green for example.

Yet there is a requirement by the government for Titchfield to provide around 180 dwellings in the neighbourhood Plan area by 2036.   So, what will happen?   The Plan will decide.

John Hiett

Comment from Peter Swan

I have read the plan from cover to cover. The area under consideration has no legal standing and is an arbitrary line drawn on a map with no executive authority hence all the proposals are fallacious. There is NOTHING in the plan that is not well covered by the Titchfield Village Trust and the capable local councillors.
There has been a waste of public money and this should stop immediately. The latest flyer even had Titchfield spelt incorrectly.
Please Fareham Borough Council, stop this waste of time and money

PWH Swan

The DRAFT Plan is published

NP 4 Website  25 July 2018

The DRAFT Plan is published and your comments are invited. The consultation period is from 20th July until 10th September 2018.

You can comment at the public consultation meetings or by going to the Have Your Say page on this website or you can use the comment facility at the foot of this page.  Or you can comment in writing and hand your letter to any Forum member.

 

 

 

 

Proposed Emblem – Consultation

This response has been sent to Connie Hockley’s query at the May Forum meeting re consultation on the proposed emblem. It is copied from an e mail to her.

I see from the notes of the Forum meeting that you were querying whether there had been sufficient consultation on the emblem. I thought I would tell you that I sent out a copy of the emblem with some explanation in our last newsletter. Over 400 people are on my e mail list and the various societies send out the newsletter to their members too so there is a total of well over 700 people who will have seen it. I asked for comments and only had 3 written responses though I occasionally meet people in the street who say they like it. The emblem and details are also on the website and we know there have been visits to that. Sean also made a presentation to the TVT meeting and the History Society meeting so apart from the people at the Church Fete I would say that over 800 people have seen it.

 Do you have any further suggestions? I thought that Sean might like to post it on the wall of the greengrocers and in the Queen’s Head. He might also put up a poster in the Community Centre but they only accept A5 which seem a little small.

One important comment I have had is that we should ensure that the emblem will reduce down sufficiently well to enable it to be used on letter headings. A comment today on the website suggested we produce flags.

Ann Wheal         Chair – Titchfield Forum.

Draft NP to assessors.

Today the DRAFT Neighbourhood Plan  is at assessors for a ‘Health Check’. This is being done by an organisation that exists to help groups such as the Forum – so they are on our side.

All the minutes and reports that various groups have produced are included as appendices and all web-site contributions can be referenced. All the events, open days, meetings and initiatives that the Forum has engaged in are referred to and will improve the chances of the document being well received. Hopefully, the health-check will confirm that we are on the right path but, if not, they will instruct us so that we can make adjustments.

This does not mean that we are at the end of the road – more like we are at the start of the next stage which will be the Public Consultation Process.

Now is a good time to mention the fact that the preparation of the plan has only been possible because of masses of work done by many people – too many to name individually.

It really has been a team effort so thanks to everyone who contributed.

Peter

19 February 2018

Buses in South St

I wonder if you have discussed the problems of buses travelling down South St and potential solutions?

I often have problems travelling into the village from Coach Hill when meeting an oncoming bus.  You can’t see a bus from that direction when you enter the narrow street. Driving past the bus is then hazardous and difficult since there is no room to pass due to parked cars and the bollards. It’s also hard to reverse out when cars are following you.

A simple solution would be to remove the bollards to reduce the risk of vehicle damage or install lights to control the flow of traffic along this section of road. This road was much better years ago before the width restrictions and installation of the stupid bollards.

Steve Cussons